Wednesday, August 6, 2008

An Ode to Fusion Food

Two home-cooked dinners on two consecutive days..
One Italian, one Thai and the common ingredient – Marinara sauce!

Marinara sauce is one of the popular sauces used in Italian cooking. It has the tang of tomatoes, and the fragrance of fresh basil. Of course in case fresh basil is unavailable (it happens with me quite often) and one just has to, has to make it then the dry herb could be an option. But in my opinion it’s a very poor second.

So I made a batch one evening when I got some nice, fresh basil in the market. With the necessary ingredients -garlic, onion, plenty of tomatoes sautéed and nicely simmered in olive oil… Flavored with dry oregano, parsley and of course my favorite – fresh basil…

What we had that night was a true blue Italian Dinner. For sides, we had chicken breasts marinated in beer (which gives the most amazingly tender, juicy and flavorsome meat) seasoned with salt, pepper and dry herbs, glazed with oil and grilled to perfection. The main course being spaghetti, cooked al dente, to go with the Marinara sauce topped with freshly grated parmesan cheese. I love food and I love eating out, but home cooked food made with imagination, and those key ingredients being present, tops any day!

“Variety is the spice of life.” I think it’s very relevant, (Don’t you?) especially after one smart dude discovered diminishing marginal utility and when food is concerned. I mean, however great a dinner, the thought of eating the same thing for two nights in succession is just not happening.

So what does one do with a whole lot of the Marinara sauce and a grilled chicken breast? Innovate. Yep, and that’s where “fusion food” comes in handy!

So next evening, I gingerly start my culinary proceedings. I am working at an unprecedented dish which of course has no recipe and worse still no name. The only solace is the fact that hubby dear eats anything with legs or gills, barring tables or chairs, of course. And last night’s chicken is going to redeem me!

I only have one central idea. My Italian Marinara sauce has tang and is flavored with basil - the two prime requisites of Thai cuisine, at least the commonly accepted category are present. I build on that foundation. First I sauté some chopped onion and capsicum and when it’s almost done in go some button mushrooms. I then add finely chopped spring onions (one of the vital ingredients, of this dish) reserving some for garnish. Now is the time for my Marinara sauce and sliced grilled chicken from last night’s Italian meal to go in. “Not bad. It’s shaping up quite well.” I think to my self adding chili powder for the proverbial Thai spice. One little simmer, some soy sauce and ample fish sauce later we are almost done. The conversion of Italian to Thai, the transition from Europe to SE Asia is complete. (The smelly, salty fish sauce is the most vital thing in any Thai dish worth its salt. It’s amazing how some genuinely smelly things can mix with food and make it heavenly delicious.)

We have it with steamed white rice, garnished with burnt garlic and spring onions. “How’s it?” I ask smugly. “Fantastic.” says Hubby dearest.


A fusion of Italian and Thai, made in India - now that is what I call truly being a world citizen!

3 comments:

Sirensongs said...

Hi Gouri maza mitrena, thanks for the link! - Siren

Anonymous said...

very well written. You got the zing, the visual and the language. i definately want to come for that Italian dinner treat.
swapna

Unknown said...

Yeah, me too. Especially that converted food. :-)