Monday, August 18, 2008

The Philadelphia Post

This was my first time to the city of Philadelphia. The usual research that I had done before going to there spoke about the role of the city in shaping American History. Sites like the Liberty Bell and the Independence Hall topping the ‘things to see’ list! And then there were the museums, the Betsy Ross house and of course, the Eastern State Penitentiary (refer to previous post).

Independence Hall


Philadelphia City Hall

And... its mirror image

Statue of William Penn atop the City Hall

There is always so much more to a city, any city than the regular things to do or see lists, isn't it?


In the case of Philadelphia, it is nicknamed ‘The city of Brotherly Love’ (Greek: philos – love; adelphos – brother). Many Asian countries believe in the effects that one’s name can have on an individual. The holder of the name, it is said, imbibes its qualities. I may dismiss it generally, but it couldn’t be truer where this place is concerned. Because Philly, in my experience, is one friendly city!


Friendship Arch in Chinatown, a gift to the city of Philadelphia, crafted by artisans of Tianjin, China (A sister city)

The city is very global with people of so many different races and nationalities living here… people, who are warm, sociable, accommodating and smile easily. This, in my opinion is one of the prime things that makes a vacation worth being taken.

We walked a lot in Philly. The air was cool and it would drizzle of and on, so it made venturing out on foot so much fun! Pritam and I stayed at a friend’s which is in a residential neighborhood about 15-minutes walking distance from the Independence Hall. There is something very distinctive about the residential architecture here. Homes are typically quaint row houses, mostly with red-brick façades. A lot of them have windows bordered with pretty, flowering plants.



Apart from its historical significance, one aspect that strikes me about this city is its murals. Wonderful, eye-catching pieces of art that cover walls of buildings! They give Philly a unique, artistic identity. They depict various themes and some of them are really huge.


Philly, as I understand, has an extensive mural arts program. It was started with a view to counter the huge graffiti problem that the city faced. As part of the program graffiti vandals gained guidance from professional artists thereby helping them channel their creativity.



Today, there are over 2,500 murals in the city and more are created regularly, giving Philly its uniquely artistic identity!


Another characteristic of this city is its parks and squares


I have come to the last day of my vacation. We’ve been indulging in diverse cuisines – Turkish, French, Japanese… but have yet to try the Philly cheesesteak. “No Worries!” Our host and dost (Hindi: dost – friend) Ravi takes us to Pat’s at the Italian Market. Philly cheesesteaks are available all over the city but here is where we get the real McCoy. No other meal of the day being feasible, it’s got to be breakfast. So, we head for ‘Pat’s – King of Steaks’.

The time is about 11 a.m. There is a queue of four or five people before us. “This place is packed at night. Come here after midnight and you’ll have to wait for ages” Ravi says. And if I remember correctly, Pat's is open 24-hours.

Across the road is Geno’s, another cheesesteak spot and competition to Pat’s. Both places are supposed to have some really die-hard patrons!

The cheesesteak is divine. I’m not one for hearty breakfasts but can’t resist something so good! It is a plump bread roll stuffed with strips of steak and crunchy fried onions. Loaded with cheese - melting and gooey! If only there was a can of chilled Budweiser to go with it! Heard of champagne brunches (haven’t tried yet!) but beer breakfast… ahem!

I eat it all and feel very guilty later. Why are all good things in life illegal, immoral or fattening? Never mind…

Beer reminds me of an apt proverb I’d read flipping through a book of Ben Franklin proverbs at the Franklin Institute. ‘Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.’ Couldn’t agree more!


Statue of Benjamin Franklin at the Franklin Institute

5 comments:

Prasan Shanbhag said...

Firstly...I think you've got an awesome camera!!

Secondly, I was enjoying your travelogue untill you wrote about the cuisines - "Italian, Turkish...." When I read about all this, it makes me realll hungry and unfortunately for me, this god forbidden city has nothing to offer :( ......so my genuine request to you is that when you mention about all this, put a warning for me, up ahead, so that I avoid the food part and not feel pathetic about my present state :)

And yeah.....I totally sgree with Mr. Ben Franklin...Beer rocks!!!
I too have enjoyed 'beer breakfast' once. Will blog about it someday.

PS: I don't know what magic you played, but your fonts in this blog are perfect....good goin :)

Gouri said...

Prasan, I’ve had some amazingly authentic Thai & Conti food in Bangalore, two years ago. Don’t think they would’ve shut shop yet, buddy!

Seek and thou shall find!!

Also a yum ice-cream I had there – Death-by-chocolate they call it! Fab!!

Prasan Shanbhag said...

Hmmm.....I know about 'Death by Choclate'. You get that at the 'Corner House' outlets all over bangalore.

As far as Thai goes, I've had it only once at 'Jeffery's @ Royal Orchid'....(can't afford that on a regular basis) :)
Lemme know if you recollect the names of the places you had been to.

Cheers

Sumita said...

Enjoyed the pictures a lot. That is an interesting travelogue.
Glad you enjoyed the city of brotherly love!!!!!!
Come back soon.

netfandu said...

suparv blog .this is really a nice blog and keep it up
visit my blog
www.netfandu.blogspot.com